How does a parent become “highly relentless” in pursuing spiritual health for their children? Here are seven practical ways you can demonstrate relentlessness:
- Pray, pray, pray. The number-one strategy for guiding your child through the teen years (and any years for that matter) is to surround him or her with prayer. Simply put, relentless parents are those who pray relentlessly.
- Choose to be active and involved. Studies have shown that close parent-child relationships are fostered by regular participation and involvement with each other. Your love and commitment should be active and obvious. Talk to them. Ask them questions. Be there for all the important events – and even the seemingly insignificant ones. Take an interest is their spiritual life as well – and try to model Christlike love, humility, and servanthood.
- Don’t take “No” for an answer too easily. Of course you should respect your teen’s boundaries, but some teenagers say, “It’s no big deal” or “I don’t want to talk about it” because they are not sure whether their parents are really interested. Be persistent without being pushy. Assure your teen that you are genuinely interested in, and concerned about his or her life and you’re always available to listen.
- Emulate our heavenly Father’s steadfast love. God’s love for each of His children is unchanging, enduring, and unwavering; regardless of how badly we blow it. Let God’s faithfulness be your morel as you express and demonstrate love for your child. Say to them often, “There’s nothing you could do that would make me stop loving you.”
- Renew your mercies every day. Let us extend daily, ongoing mercies to our sons and daughters. Every morning should bring a clean slate. If last night’s argument was talked out and resolved, leave it behind.
- Nurture yourself as you nurture your child. One of the best ways to nurture yourself is by developing a network of supportive friends – ideally, other parents – with whom you can share concerns, learn from one another’s experiences, and pray for one another.
- Resolve to never, ever give up. Go the distance! No matter how angry, stressed out, frustrated, disappointed, or exhausted you are, resolve to be the best mom or dad you can be. Make a commitment – and act of will – to never give up on your son or daughter.
This article was published with permission from Focus on the Family Malaysia.
Spiritual Growth of Children
By John Trent, Kurt D. Bruner & Rick Osborne
Get your copy now for RM 59.90!
What greatest gift can parents give their children than one that lasts for eternity? Passing on a heritage of faith to children is an incredible privilege God gives to parents. Find dozens of simple, practical ways to not only tell your children what to believe, but to show them how to make faith in God part of everyday life.
FOCUS ON THE FAMILY MALAYSIA
6-2 Jalan Bersatu 13/4, 46200 Petaling Jaya
Focus on the Family’s 90-second audio program is aired over TRAXX FM at 7.15 am Mondays to Fridays.
|Share The Good News|
Focus on the Family Malaysia